About Life in Flight
How Life in Flight Works
Fulfill your sense of adventure and build a rewarding, secure career with Life in Flight.
Life in Flight provides a complete path from training to an exciting and secure career as a pilot. Whether you’re finishing high school and you’re not sure what’s next, or you’re at a crossroads in your career and looking for a new challenge, Life in Flight supports you in your journey towards a fulfilling career.
For applicants beginning their career in Canada, Life in Flight starts with pilot training at Canada’s most distinguished flight school, Moncton Flight College (MFC). After training, graduates will then build experience as flight instructors at MFC. Finally, Life in Flight candidates will be guaranteed a rewarding five-year position as a pilot at one of our companies, based upon your interests and career goals.
Whether you’re completely new to aviation or already attending one of MFC’s programs, Life in Flight has a diverse range of career paths for you to consider.
Life in Flight Requirements
Following training at Moncton Flight College, Life in Flight candidates build a minimum of 1,500 hours of valuable experience as flight instructors, before joining one of our companies as a full-time pilot.
Candidates who have their Commercial Pilot Licence from another country may also apply to Life in Flight. We’ll work with you to identify any regulatory or professional gaps, then create an action plan to support your successful transition to a fully qualified Canadian Flight Instructor at MFC. International pilots typically must hold this position for a minimum of two years to meet immigration requirements.
General Eligibility Requirements:
- Completion of High School Diploma;
- Transport Canada Category 1 medical;
- Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada;
- Ability to obtain and hold a Restricted Area Identification Card;
- Solid verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong decision-making abilities with a high degree of integrity;
- Ability to successfully complete a Criminal Record Check as well as additional background checks required by our various Air Operators;
- Completion of all online courses required by their employer during the duration of employment; and
- Commit to a minimum of five years of combined flying service as a flight instructor at MFC and with the Exchange Income Corporation air operators.
Your career path
1 – GRADUATE
- Candidates can apply once they have their high school diploma.
- Moncton Flight College offers comprehensive training programs to suit various levels of flight experience, but no previous flight training is required to apply to Life in Flight.
2 – APPLY TO LIFE IN FLIGHT
- Apply online.
- Candidates will work with EIC to choose which of its companies they’d like to work for as a pilot. They’ll interview with a representative from that air operator as part of the application process.
- At this stage, Life in Flight’s team will help candidates secure financing, if required.
3 – LEARN TO FLY
- Candidates will complete flight training at Moncton Flight College, earning their required licences, including their Private Pilot Licence, Commercial Pilot Licence, Multi-Engine Rating and Group 1 IFR Rating.
- During training, they’ll be paired with a mentor from their chosen air operator.
Duration: 12-15 months
4 – EARN INSTRUCTOR RATING
- Candidates will earn their instructor rating at Moncton Flight College.
Duration: 3-4 months
5 – FLIGHT INSTRUCT
- Candidates will build 1,500 hours of flight experience working as a flight instructor, qualifying them for their Airline Transport Pilot Licence.
Duration: 18-24 months
6 – CONTINUE YOUR CAREER WITH AN EIC AIR OPERATOR
- Life in Flight graduates are now ready to work as pilots at their chosen EIC air operator.
RECEIVE A $25,000 COMMITMENT AWARD
- After five years of employment with Moncton Flight College and their EIC air operator, candidates receive $25,000 to first put towards any outstanding flight training debt recognizing their commitment to Life in Flight.
After 5 years
Mentorship Makes a Difference
At Life in Flight, we want to ensure the long-term success of every candidate. That’s why every Life in Flight candidate is matched with a passionate mentor to provide ongoing career coaching and guidance. We’ll match you with a working pilot from the company where you’ll be employed, so you have support at every step on the Life in Flight path.
Every mentor will:
- Guide you in creating realistic goals and career development plans
- Help you form relationships within the EIC family of companies, including the air operator where you’ll work
- Act as a sounding board for questions and concerns about working in aviation
- Introduce you to company culture, policies and procedures to ensure an efficient orientation